Friday, 19 April 2013

BJP 2013 - Here comes the Sun - April



Flying Saucers

Flying Saucers are my passion,
although they're slightly out of fashion.
Trends always move in downs and ups,
but who did ever hear of cups
and even teapots in the skies?
Anyway, how could they rise
into the distant atmosphere?
Aren't they badly needed here?
Why don't they stay where they belong?
It all seems absolutely wrong!

Please help me to retrieve them.
I don't intend to leave them
up there amongst the stars and stuff.
Come back now! That is quite enough!
If you're not careful, you will roll
into a sinister Black Hole.

The Sun, smug and luxurious,
just sits there, being curious ...


 Strange things happen! But before they do, it takes a little preparation:


The sun has to find its place, the flying saucers have to be called in and asked to choose their places. In this layout, the foundation for the sun, an empty twine card, is the only item already fixed to the silk fabric. At this stage, I had no idea yet how I would construct the face. In fact, the mounting of the sun's finished face (cotton fabric underlaid with several layers of felt) was the very last thing to be added. After all the flying objects had been fixed, I realized that I had completely forgotten about the placement of the Black Holes. But I think they did get their appropriate places, looming on the periphery.

Have fun!
 

2 comments:

Cyndi L said...

Oh my goodness, Sabine!! This piece gave me such a smile...and I needed it! Thank you so much :-)

Sabine said...

I'm happy it cheered you up, Cyndi.

Bead Journal Project 2013