With my mind lately set on finishing my unfinished objects, my September piece had to be a little patient with me, but here it is now, brand new, finished this morning.
Limited
Dimensions
I
read, and maybe so did you,
a
moving story which is true
of
Robin Atkins and a donkey,
which
shows that, while a path seems wonky,
it
may be purposeful and straight.
In any case, the tale is great.
What's
that story? Here's the LINK.
Now,
what do you feel and think?
The
question that we here advance
is:
Did they re-meet just by chance,
or
are man and beast connected
and
subconsciously directed
by
the power we call fate?
We'll
never get the answer straight.
To
the Happy End three cheers!
Oh
Sun, caressing Donk's long ears,
did
you foresee the story's twists?
Is
there a pattern that insists
on
being followed to a tee,
a
pattern that we cannot see,
but
have to live by all the same?
I
wonder: What's the secret game?
Obviously,
I can't rely
on
you to send me a reply.
I
know you cannot ease my tensions –
I'm
caught in limited dimensions.
You may be wondering why there is a whole animal pyramide on my piece, instead of just one donkey, as would be adequate to illustrate the story. Wellll - it happened like this: I went out to look for a donkey, small enough to sit in the centre of my 6" x 6" piece. I soon met one, but ... he was not alone ... Now, we all know that donkeys have a reputation of being stubborn, and this one turned out to be no exception. When I asked him whether he would like to become the star of my bead picture, he thought that over for a while and then said that he might consent to accept that job, but only on two conditions. First: His pals had to accompany him. Second: His fee would have to be paid in Carrot currency. What could I do? I was in a tight spot, so I agreed, and here they all are. May I introduce: The donkey's name is Oskar, his friends are dog Benno, cat Winnifred, rooster Lorenzo.
Here's some more background information:
Rough layout after the fabric had been prepared.
I made the carrots from polymer clay (Fimo), with a hole from one end to the other to fix them to the background and add the greenery.
Fastened to the embroidery hoop.
Silk backed with thin, iron-on interfacing; two different fabrics fused on top.
Ready to be taken off the embroidery hoop.
I purchased the blue glass firefly in London/UK, at one of the gateways to Beading Paradise (see information below). I then elongated the tail with some seed beads.
The raffia bee was given to me by one of my children's friends many, many years ago. It was the craze at that time to knot these sweet little critters.
Details about the a.m. London bead shop, last updated in summer 2011:
The
Bead Shop www.beadshop.co.uk
21a
Tower Street, London WC2H 9NS; there is a good map on the website.
Business hours:
Mon 13.00 – 18.00, Tue – Fri 10.30 – 18.00, Sat 11.30 – 17.00,
however downstairs area Mon – Fri only until 17.00, Sat only until 16.30.
Tube:
Leicester Square (Piccadilly or Northern line) or Covent Garden
(Piccadilly line).
Have fun with Oskar and friends!

.jpg)




5 comments:
Lovely, Sabine! I like your number "negen". A lot of things come together: you mention dear Robin and her donkey, the poem is philosophic in a nice way and your beadwork shows the Town musicians of Bremen (Wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Town_Musicians_of_Bremen) and the carrots...mmm, huisvlijtigliesje.blogspot.com
Lovely illustration to Robin's story> I enjoyed your poem and happy Oskar was able to keep his friends
Sabine!! Your animal pyramid is one of the cutest things I've ever seen included in beadwork! Fantastic job, talented lady :-)
I'm going to print this post and take it when next I visit Donkey-oti. Maybe I'll read her your poem. Maybe she'll get it. I've certainly seen her stubborn streak... certainly she will approve of the carrots and three friends! In real life, she has many chickens, a couple of ducks, and a dog. I've never seen a cat there, but we both know, ya gotta have a cat!
I love your work, as you know... this is no exception!
Thank you so much, dear BJP Ladies, for your lovely comments. They warm my heart (plus the hearts of the four stars of the piece), while externally an additional cardigan keeps me warm during this fall season.
Post a Comment