All of a sudden, and despite my rough treatment of the would-be third blossom, it started to grow out of the cactus like mad, at super-high speed. That was about three or four days ago. This time I wanted to take pictures of the process of the blossom's opening. So I took the first photo last night (August 23):
The second picture shows the bud at noontime today:
Tonight I photographed in roughly 5-minute-intervals, from 19:55 to 20:38. I found it very difficult in the end to select pictures for my blog. I am posting the pictures in the order they were taken.
The show begins!
The top petals separate more slowly than the bottom ones.
Sitting among its plant fellows.
Glory unfolding.
Celebration of beauty.
Good night. It was getting too dark to use the camera without flash.
About two hours later, when it was completely dark, the blossom had reached its full size. Tomorrow morning I will look out for its insect visitors.
The most amazing thing is that the blossoming cactus is programmed with an exact timetable. As far as I can judge, the duration of the blossom opening and the time when it opened complies with the first two blossoms precisely. What an awesome piece of life that is to watch!


















No comments:
Post a Comment